My earliest surviving track design

Ole talk and things that don't fit anywhere else
gordon
Site Admin

My earliest surviving track design

Post by gordon »

Today while cleaning out a drawer, I came across something I've been wishing I could find for years. I thought it was lost with time, but there it was in a folder with other "artefacts" from my youth. Back in our teenage slot racing years, I always wanted to - get this - build a permanent track which would be lowered from the ceiling of the bedroom I shared with my brother (sounds familiar, doesn't it?). To that end, at about age fifteen I got out my graph paper and geometry set (no computers back then) and designed these two layouts. The first is based on Scalextric track pieces which I carefully measured and checked the angles of the corner sections. Finding the second was a big surprise, as I only remember the first. All I can think is that it was for a routed track rather than Scalextric. Note the elevation changes, banking and 6" driver stations, not unlike our own FRC track.

It really was a nice surprise finding them and taking myself back to the 1960s.

Scalextric Design

Routed Design
steveaca

Re: My earliest surviving track design

Post by steveaca »

Amazing design skills at such a young age. Any idea of the running length of the Scalextric one ? I particularly like the long straight.
gordon
Site Admin

Re: My earliest surviving track design

Post by gordon »

steveaca wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:41 pm Amazing design skills at such a young age. Any idea of the running length of the Scalextric one ? I particularly like the long straight.
I suppose its close to the other one which I probably used a piece of string to measure at the time.