Ferrari with a special chassis

Ole talk and things that don't fit anywhere else
gordon
Site Admin

Ferrari with a special chassis

Post by gordon »

Guys, check out this beautiful Ferrari. Besides the body, what really caught my eyes is that chassis:

Now have a look at this Cox Ford MkIV from around 1967:

Notice the similarity to the chassis of the Ferrari above? This was a Cox design called an "Iso-Fulcrum" chassis and it was a very interesting design. It was made up of two parts - the central "triangular" section that held the motor and guide flag and the rectangular section that carried the front axle, wheels and body, both connect at the rear axle bearings. When you raised the car off its wheels, the central component (including the motor) would drop like a guide flag drop arm, pivoted at the rear axle bearings. The rectangular section would rise and fall with the bumps on the track without affecting the guide flag in the slot, already helped to keep there by the weight of the motor. It made for a very good-handling design.

The Cox MkIV brings back memories for me but it will bring back many more for O'Brie, as this was probably the crown of his collection when we were young teenagers. He raced his against my Riggen brass-chassis Ferrari P4 and we had many exciting battles against one-another with them.
O'Brie

Re: Ferrari with a special chassis

Post by O'Brie »

Wow! Yes the ISO fulcrum chassis of old!!! I still have mine but the body of the Mk4 is almost “Caput “
Might do for a Scratch built car though ;) We had a massive amount of fun in those days and I would like to think that we may have something going in a similar vain with the Clubman, Scratch built and the BTCC as well! Close competitive racing is the way to go particularly as we can now have 6 cars on a 2 lane ..... a big improvement over the old days with a 4 lane i think.