Workbench cleanup

FRC's latest news and information of interest to members
gordon
Site Admin

Workbench cleanup

Post by gordon »

Just about ten years ago I had my slot car workbench/cupboard/storage area built to fit in the small space available in our washroom right next to the FRC track. Over the years I've spent literally hundreds - if not thousands - of hours sitting there building and preparing my cars for competition. Many others have also used the work area over those years and those of you who have will recall that I always have pieces of paper towel laid out on the surface. The purpose of these towels is primarily to reduce the chance of small items like screws and washers bouncing or sliding off the table, something they helped slightly to avoid. Despite this, I can't recall the number of times I've been on my hands and knees searching the terrazzo camouflage floor trying to find small items that had inadvertently dropped from the workbench, many of them lost forever.

Well today I decided to give the workbench area a cleanup and get rid of the paper towels once and for all, replacing them with a non-slip rubber covering that we use at my store. It's used on ships and boats, amongst other places, to prevent items like dishes from sliding about on surfaces. It also has some give to absorb impacts and reduce bouncing when things drop on it, so I figured it would be a big improvement over the paper towels.

I started off by removing everything from the work surface and it was a rather large quantity of items of all types and sizes, including my cars from our last event:

The next thing was to clean the surface of the workbench, for which I used soap on the rough side of a dishwashing sponge, but as this pic taken after the cleaning shows, it didn't get things very clean (you should have seen it before cleaning!):

Moving on to plan B, I then decided to paint the surface along with the back and exposed side walls and the result was a lot better, despite just using a single coat:

Once the paint had dried, I laid on the anti-slip rubber mat, having previously cut it to fit (as you can see, it has small holes that also prevent small items from moving/sliding around):

Finally, I replaced all the items that were originally on the workbench after first cleaning the lamp and soldering iron stand, along with their cords:

I know that that things can still bounce off the work surface, but I'm sure there'll be fewer incidents and it'll be a lot harder for small items to slide or roll off. It'll also be a lot neater than having all those paper towels spread out while working on cars.
steveaca

Re: Workbench cleanup

Post by steveaca »

Looking good Gordon. I know you'd have preferred to be working on the cars instead of the bench but this sort of thing is also necessary. Well done !
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

steveaca wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:03 pm Looking good Gordon. I know you'd have preferred to be working on the cars instead of the bench but this sort of thing is also necessary. Well done !
Yeah Steve. Things were in a bit of a big mess after the track work yesterday, having removed the soldering station and glue gun as well as several other things off the workbench to facilitate this. I decided that it was a good opportunity for the workbench cleanup, as I already had the non-slip rubber roll at home, so I just got on with it.
Luke

Post by Luke »

You now have (again) a very clean & organized looking slot-car workstation area Gordon 8-)