NON MAG. RACING

FRC's latest news and information of interest to members
RameshB

NON MAG. RACING

Post by RameshB »

Hi guys i have been thinking about suggesting we change the following classes to non mag racing . Historic saloon, Pony , Group 5 sport and Vintage sport.also we we will still continue with scratch built and split it into 2 classes, old and modern.we can open this up for discussion because the ground clerance and configurations will be a strong determining performance factor. lets here your thoughts.the RALLY CLASS , BTCC , F1 , MP , GT AND LMP ,will remain the same.
RameshB

Re: NON MAG. RACING

Post by RameshB »

Slot it will also remain unchanged.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Hello Ramesh,

Although I do not tune slot cars (any longer) but still partake (every now and again) in some of the FRC slot car races ...
  • Six (6) Magnet Racing Classes:
    BTCC
    Slot.It Challenge
    Modified Production
    Restricted GT
    Restricted LMP
    Formula 1
  • Six (6) Non-magnet Racing Classes:
    Historic Saloon
    American Pony Car
    Vintage Sports GT
    Vintage Sports Prototype

Kit Bash
    Rally Car
Sounds like an eye-opening idea with (4) classes in blue & could make some clear-cut tuning setups in the simplest way.

Luke
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

I like this suggestion Ram. I believe that what we need to think about to start with regarding APC, HS, VSGT and VSPR is:
  1. For APC and HS, are we immediately (or ever) going to allow non-standard chassis? These classes currently require the original chassis (but it may be modified with some conditions).
  2. For all the four classes, are we immediately (or ever) going to allow anglewinder setups?
My reasons for asking these questions are twofold. Firstly, non-standard chassis can add costs to the cars (eg. 3D chassis and motor pod). This only applies to APC and HS.

Secondly, some cars may be able to be configured for an anglewinder setup, but others are just too narrow for that. This effectively will eliminate the narrower cars.

There may be other points to consider, but these are what I can think of at present.

Let’s hear everyone’s thoughts.
RameshB

Post by RameshB »

Hi my thought for now is chassis change and motor pods free for all but APC and Historic would run only inline and SW.
steveaca

Post by steveaca »

Hi all,
as most of you know, I have been a proponent of non-magnet racing for the longest time. I'm pretty sure I proposed this a long time ago for the HS class but it was felt at the time that we should leave the magnets. Since that time, we've had the introduction of the Kitbash Class and more recently (although it has yet to be raced or even named) the , in my words 'Clubman' class to cater to non-mag racing. Each of these allows saloon type cars but with 'Clubman' class allowing cars only up to 1969 and fitted with up to 18k motors and the KB class allowing more modern machinery but limited to 14k motors. As far as I am concerned, changing the current HS to non-mag would have the cars ending up somewhere in between the 'Clubman' and KB cars. I however would not mind giving it a try but think that what should for the regulations is just inserting the proviso that 'magnet(s) not allowed'. I have argued in the past and will continue to argue that allowing the fitment of 3-D printed chassis will drive the cost of these cars up tremendously. We have already allowed them in KB and they also are now appearing in 'Clubman'. I don't think we need another class with them.
As far as the other proposed classes for non-mag racing, I would be happy to go along but also with the only change to the rules being the removal of magnets. In other words, let's not change the configuration of the cars .
As we are on the topic of non-mag racing, I feel that we could also look at our Rally class where I feel we could have a look back at my post of 6th February (Racing/rally class format amendment proposal). Here I proposed a separate class for the non super fast, super low, F1-tyred cars that now dominate the top of the charts. My proposal is such that although there would be two classes, there would be no extra time added to the event.
Steve
steveaca

Post by steveaca »

Clearly Ram, Gordon and I are the only ones who have any feelings on this.
steveaca

Post by steveaca »

Sorry, should have included Luke in this .
O'Brie

Post by O'Brie »

Hi Guys

been out of contact for a while but I managed to scan the chats and saw this. I have to say that Steve is right with HS in fact I think it will be identical to Clubman!! I agree with trying out a few more classes with "non-magnet" but I don't see why we should change too many aspects of the class in one go?
HS could probably go back to 23k motors or 21.5k to widen the space with Clubman at 18k but keep chasis etc the same. just my .02*
Luke

Post by Luke »

steveaca wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:58 pm Sorry, should have included Luke in this .
That’s AOK Steve,

Ah not so big in the dance (tuning) anyway & just for the record. I did a bit of (personal) fact-finding/research with the recent Racing Questionnaire post ~ viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1584 ~ and hindsight would have it ...

I selected the 6 Magnetic Classes over the 6 Non-magnetic racing,

Mind you - not that I don’t enjoy non-magnet racing but was just confirming between the two ;-)
Last edited by Luke on Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.