RACE REPORT #304 - Jan 14th 2023 (BTCCnm, SCnm, GTnm, LMPnm)

All things related to racing at FRC
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Seven guys were present for our first event of the new year, all of which took to the track at various times and, of the seven, five actually raced. Peter brought along Nigel who hadn't been at FRC for some time and they both did some test driving. Those that took part in the races were O'Brie, Steve, Luke T, Keith and myself.

Steve kindly donated a brand new straight lane-change track section which we used to replace the failing one behind the pits. Thanks Steve!

Scheduled classes were BTCC, Slot.It Challenge, GT and LMP and we ran qualifying and a single 20-lap race for each of these. We were still unable to turn off the dynamic braking of the cars, but did manage to change some settings to reduce the harshness of the brakes. For some reason, this was more effective for the slower two classes, BTCC and Slot.It Challenge.

Luke brought along this beautiful Carrera Mercedes Benz 300 SEL 6.3 AMG for viewing and put it on display in the paddock:

During the practice sessions, I had to climb up on the track table to determine the cause of an issue. Part of the problem was the front of the body of one of Steve's cars actually dragging on the track and hitting the track join!

The results

BTCC

Computer qualifying results (NOTE: The times in this pic are not in qualifying order through an error of mine. All the subsequent computer qualifying results pics are in order of fastest to slowest):

BTCC grid: Steve's BMW, my MG6, O'Brie's Civic, Keith driving another of Steve's BMWs and Luke driving O'Brie's Passat:

Computer BTCC results:

Slot.It Challenge

Computer qualifying results:

Slot.It Challenge grid: My Nissan, O'Brie's Mazda, Steve's Toyota and Keith driving my Toyota. Both Steve and Keith chose to drive different cars than those they qualified with and were therefore placed at the back of the grid (as seen from the qualifying, Steve actually would have been on grid position 2 had he stuck with the car he qualified):

Computer race results:

GT

GT grid: O'Brie's super-quick McLaren, Steve's Lotus, my Porsche and Keith's BMW:

Computer race results:

LMP

LMP grid (as you can tell from the pics, darkness had already set in): Steve's Lancia, my Audi, O'Brie's Porsche and Keith driving Steve's Lola:

Computer race results:

(How this is computed: http://ggonsalves.com/frc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=393)

Congratulations to the winners.

Next event's classes: To be announced.

Don't forget to see the updated overall fastest times and the fastest no-magnet times by driver and class to know what the benchmarks are for your cars. Older stats can be found in the Archive area of the forum.

See you on the circuit...
Gordon
steveaca

Re: RACE REPORT #304 - Jan 13th 2023 (BTCCnm, SCnm, GTnm, LMPnm)

Post by steveaca »

Great evening as usual of racing at FRC. Besides those who actually raced, it was nice to have Peter and Nigel come by. Hopefully next time they will join in the racing action !
The track, although still not ideal, is now significantly more driver-friendly than before, due to Gordon's dogged determination to sort out the braking issue.
The racing was great fun with some great battles , in some cases going down to almost the last corner of the last lap. O'Brie's McLaren F1 GTR in GT class was phenomenal and has left me scratching my head to come up with an answer to it.
Luke brought along a new Carrera AMG Mercedes Benz 'Red Pig' which was a real treat to behold. Would love to see one in action at FRC !
Congrats to Gordon on winning BTCC and Slot.it Challenge, O'Brie on winning GT, Gordon and Luke on jointly taking Index Of Performance honors and finally to Gordon on his overall victory.
Looking forward to the next event.
Luke

Re: RACE REPORT #304 - Jan 14th 2023 (BTCCnm, SCnm, GTnm, LMPnm)

Post by Luke »

It was a pleasure to be present at FRC's 304th. & first racing event in 2023 8-)

Now even though racing slot-cars at FRC has reached such a grand number & year :!:

Feel as if the actual year is an overthought number, which seems to be very futuristic but yet it's the present time :shock:

Basically we made it this far & here's another perfect example what I mean ...

When I share some of my (in my prime) 1980's life thrilling & nowadays slot-car stories with my daughter (DOB October 2005) Bethany, she told me once how enjoyable but strange it sounds (at the same time) listening to a person from the 20th Century & her punch line - as if you're were here for an eternity and still going ..! :lol:

I find it to be such a lovely compliment and reality check all at once :roll:

All in all Gordon, thanks for posting pics of Mercedes (and for the record - owner Ian) and showing how you're such an agile & light-footed person in a cramped space :)

Also, nice of Steve to donate a Scalextric C7036 SSD Straight Lane Changer and guessing it was bought at our local Hobby Shop ... Island Hobbies ;)

Post No.2188
steveaca

Post by steveaca »

Yes Luke, lane change piece came from Island Hobbies. They have quite a range of current Scalextric cars as well as other bits and pieces.
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Luke, the Mercedes is Ian’s (Ian Galt)?
Luke

Post by Luke »

steveaca wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:49 am Yes Luke, lane change piece came from Island Hobbies. They have quite a range of current Scalextric cars as well as other bits and pieces.
:arrow: Island Hobbies ... it's ONE of the best GO 2 PLACES for 1:32 items 8-)

Post No.2189
Luke

Post by Luke »

gordon wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:11 pm Luke, the Mercedes is Ian’s (Ian Galt)?
No other than ... the man himself :)

Any discrete or extra special reason you asked Gordon :?:

Post No.2190
O'Brie

Post by O'Brie »

Sorry I did not respond sooner! As I said before the end result, win or loose, is we all had a great time, yes and for once I had a winner!😁. Believe me when I say that I am examining that F1 very closely! Thanks guys for the great time including the good heckling for my friend Spider-Man who lived (thank god) to tell the tale!😂😂. Any word on what classes of cars for next race meet?