RACE REPORT #297 - May 14th 2022 (FCIROCnm, GTnm)

All things related to racing at FRC
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

We had the largest turnout of drivers since the beginning of COVID at yesterday's FRC event. They included the usual suspects Steve, O'Brie and myself, along with Warren, Luke T and, surprise, surprise, Nicholas, better known at FRC as "Spick". In addition it was great to welcome FRC first-timers Roger and his young son, both of whom took some drives around FRC's challenging turns, adapting well to the track and the Ferrari Challenge IROC cars that they drove.

The first order of business was the FC IROC series of races and it certainly produced lots of action, particularly in their now magless configuration. The number 2 Ferrari had a problem with the chip going wacky from time to time, but that didn't stop the racing from resuming and in proper IROC tradition, everyone drove every car from its allocated starting grid position, making it a completely even contest.

The IROC racing was followed by two GT races which were very closely competed and we finally started packing up around 7:30pm after a memorable and very enjoyable afternoon of slot car racing.

Practice session underway before the racing began. L to R are Warren, Steve, Nicholas and Luke:

O'Brie gives his best smile while working on one of his cars:

The results

Ferrari Challenge grid - all the cars ready to go!:

Drivers pose for a pic before racing begins:

Ferrari IROC action on track:

Drivers concentrate during the third race:

Ferrari Challenge first race results. Each car's fastest time is the smaller text below the large text:

In between the races, Warren, Roger and his son take to the track while I look on:

GT first race grid: Steve's beautiful Ferrari 512BB puts in a maiden pole, followed by Keith's BMW M1 driven by Nicholas, my Porsche 911R, O'Brie's Porsche 997 and Warren's McLaren MP4 12C:

GT second race grid: Steve's Ford GTE, followed by Keith's BMW M1 driven by Nicholas, my Porsche 911R and Warren's McLaren MP4 12C:

(How this is computed: http://ggonsalves.com/frc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=393)

Congratulations to the winners.

Next event's classes: To be determined.

Don't forget to see the updated overall fastest times and the fastest no-magnet times by driver and class to know what the benchmarks are for your cars. Older stats can be found in the Archive area of the forum.

See you on the circuit...
Gordon
steveaca

Re: RACE REPORT #297 - May 14th 2022 (FCIROCnm, GTnm)

Post by steveaca »

Great afternoon as usual of racing at FRC. Was nice to see the re-emergence of some 'old' FRC racers (Nick and Luke T), and the appearance of a not so 'old' one (Luke DeNobriga....or Luke D). Great also to see some first time visitors to FRC.
Racing the F430s was a real blast despite the No.2 car having some chip issues. The cars themselves were very evenly matched despite each having its own characteristics.
We had so much fun doing this IROC racing that we didn't get to race some of the other classes, namely Slot.it Challenge, LMP and F1. We did get in two GT races though which were also a hoot. Very pleased with the debut performance of my Ferrari 512 BB. As much of a Ferrari fan as I am, I have never before this car , owned a Ferrari for racing at FRC...and it's RED. !! Also pleased with the performance of the Ford GTE which did a qualifying time in the second race which, quite honestly, surprised me. Nick showed that his driving ability is still there , getting Keith's BMW M1 qualified in second place for both GT races, despite being away from FRC for a number of years. Very good performances also put in by the Porsche 911s of Gordon and O'Brie (997 variant for O'Brie) and a truly fantastic performance by Luke D's McLaren which arrived at FRC without even a digital chip and was able to be made quite competitive in short order.
Looking forward to the next event.
Steve
O'Brie

Post by O'Brie »

IROC was great and we all had fun even with the #2 car seeming to have a bad chip! We definitely need to do that again. Glad to see some old familiar faces mixed in with some new😁
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

O’Brie, congrats on your performance! Only the new Ramesh beat you!
Luke

Post by Luke »

It was such a pleasure to visit FRC since my last formal race day (RR290 August 2021) and after greeting everyone - it was time for the exciting & dramatic FC IROC class 8-)

I wrote ... Dramatic ... because during the races we all (at different times) had episodes - while racing - watching the wrong numbered car :lol:

For those of us who haven't experienced - pic of cars to help understand situation - it is a rather confusing & funny feeling :shock: :? :D

Post No.2165
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Luke wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:35 am I wrote ... Dramatic ... because during the races we all (at different times) had episodes - while racing - watching the wrong numbered car :lol:
Luke, the immediate solution which comes to mind is to put a strip of coloured (fluorescent?) tape along the doors on each side of three cars (and possibly on the bonnets), one of each car colour. So we can do this either on cars 1, 3 and 5 or on cars 2, 4 and 6. That will easily differentiate the two yellow, blue and red cars.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Your idea sounds good Gordon ... and putting ideas together 8-)

How about 1" Orange & Green Roundels on the Bonnets and (maybe) Rear Windscreen of the 6 specific numbered cars :?:

It could be even done on the Doors but (for scale) with 1/2" Roundels ... mind you ... feel it's (going to look) a bit too much of circles on one car :D

So maybe only on the Bonnet & Doors or Rear Windscreen & Doors or Bonnet & Windscreen.

Whichever way is considered ... consider it done ... yours truly getting these Coloured Roundels Stickers :)
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Luke wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:22 am Your idea sounds good Gordon ... and putting ideas together 8-)

How about 1" Orange & Green Roundels on the Bonnets and (maybe) Rear Windscreen of the 6 specific numbered cars :?:

It could be even done on the Doors but (for scale) with 1/2" Roundels ... mind you ... feel it's (going to look) a bit too much of circles on one car :D

So maybe only on the Bonnet & Doors or Rear Windscreen & Doors or Bonnet & Windscreen.

Whichever way is considered ... consider it done ... yours truly getting these Coloured Roundels Stickers :)
Luke, I think that us short fellas need something on the sides (doors) of the cars to quickly identify them at a distance. Sometimes the angle and glare on the top surfaces (bonnet, roof and back glass) make it difficult to quickly and easily identify the car. I have yellow, red and black electrical tape if we need it (eg. we can use yellow on the doors of the red and blue cars and red on the doors of the yellow cars). But the roundels can also work, once they're on the doors. Just some thoughts.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Great ... Bonnet & Doors ... it is with 2 sets of (3 x 1" and 6 x 1/2") in Orange & Green Roundels ;)
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Luke wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:40 am Great ... Bonnet & Doors ... it is with 2 sets of (3 x 1" and 6 x 1/2") in Orange & Green Roundels ;)
That sounds fine Luke.