Magless thoughts

All things related to racing at FRC
gordon
Site Admin

Magless thoughts

Post by gordon »

Those of us who have been taking part our informal FRC "COVID" sessions have been driving only the non-magnet Kitbash and Clubman cars and really enjoying them. Attendees have included Steve, O'Brie, Peter, Keith and of course myself (although never all of these at once).

It's not like we each have just one car that we're driving either. I personally have five and enjoy driving them all. Likewise, Steve and O'Brie also have several which they've been driving and having a great time doing so. At yesterday's session, I took a drive with my two Vintage Sports Cobras and then with my two BTCC cars and I have to say I really didn't like the experience. They are nothing like the magless cars. It's as though they drive themselves with very little input from the driver and present very little challenge to drive compared to the magless cars. They're also way too fast and slam into things really hard when they de-slot.

It's not as though I didn't know these things about magnet cars - I've been driving them for twelve years. But that's largely all I knew. Now that we've been driving only magless cars, I've come to realize how much more focus and driving input they require. I have to say, right now I have no interest whatsoever in going back to magnet cars. Over the years I've read many articles where slot car racers recommend tossing the magnets and going magless. I now fully understand and agree with them.
steveaca

Re: Magless thoughts

Post by steveaca »

I'm in full agreement with Gordon here. Driving these non-magnet cars is so enjoyable that I can drive for laps on end at FRC and have fun doing it...without even racing. Of course actually racing them makes it even better ! The same cannot be said (at least for me) for the magnetically assisted cars. Did a few laps with my BTCC and Vintage Sport (GT) cars on Saturday and was blown away at how fast they lap but also thought that while racing them would be fun, actually just driving them did not provide any pleasure at all. They don't put a smile on my face like the non-mag cars. While not wanting to be too radical here, I'd like to see the non-mag racing extended to more classes, maybe on a phased basis. Classes that come to mind for this would be BTCC and Vintage Sport.
Luke

Post by Luke »

A quick run-through ... of 50+ years.

Here are my thoughts with Non-magnet racing (for all the years) with very first Scalextric Set ;)
  • Non-magnet racing 1970 ~ age 07 with my first Scalextric Set.
  • Non-magnet racing 1977 ~ age 14 along with many friends.
  • Magnetic racing ... 1999 ~ age 36 along with my Son (04) and many friends.
  • Magnetic racing ... 2009 ~ age 46 along with many friends at FRC.
  • Non-magnet racing 2012 ~ age 49 along with my Son (17) at FRC ... http://ggonsalves.com/frc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=377
  • Non-magnet racing 2021 ~ age 58 with my (Happy Birthday Gift) Scalextric Ford Sierra No.17 model again ... at FRC.
In summing-up ... it's called the Circles of Life 8-)

Post No.2114

Luke
Luke

Post by Luke »

A neat YouTube vid ... and how I always remembered my 1st. Scalextric Set on Christmas Day :)
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

My first Scalextric set also came with two Minis, however they were front-wheel-drive models. They were the first Scalextric Minis produced I believe.
Luke

Post by Luke »

gordon wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:35 am My first Scalextric set also came with two Minis, however they were front-wheel-drive models. They were the first Scalextric Minis produced I believe.
Clearly a 60s and 70s era Gordon ... and could it be the 60s Red & Yellow Minis (not being raced in vid) on the infield of Scalextric layout :)
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Nah Luke. Those are more advanced. The FWD ones looked like this (one red, one green).

http://www.scalextric-car.co.uk/Cars/C7 ... _green.htm
Luke

Post by Luke »

AOK and even more advance today Gordon and sure yuh done know ...

How I had to view list (C76 - C110) of different models and if my Red + Yellow Minis were logged - unfortunately not and what one http://www.scalextric-car.co.uk/Cars/C1 ... _white.htm looked like 8-)

My brother, sisters, Dad and Uncles raced all of 1970 Christmas Day and straight into 1971 New Year's Day :D

Plus, how we were all clueless about Magnetic racing and (if someone had asked me) as much as 3 decades ;)

Post No.2117